I was asked to speak today on Following the Prophet. We are so blessed to have a living Prophet here on earth. Prophets help us confront the changes and challenges we constantly face in the world today. The Primary song “Follow the Prophet” reminds us of this important principle : “We can get direction all along our way, if we heed the prophets - follow what they say.”Prophets raise a voice of warning and also provide counsel to help us weather the storm. In the Doctrine and Covenants the lord reminds us “Whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same”
President Monson has offered us three guidelines to help us gain a strong spiritual foundation.
First: Say your Prayers- When we remember that each of us is literally a spirit son or daughter of God, we will not find it difficult to approach Him in prayer. He knows us; He loves us; He wants what is best for us.
Second: Read the Scriptures- Spending each day in scripture study will strengthen our foundations of faith and out testimonies of truth.
Third: Service- There our others who need your help. In (Messiah chapter 2 Verse 17) it says “When you are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God”
When I think of President Monson I automatically think of Service. A year ago president Monson was interviewed by the church news just before his birthday. The reported asked him “What he would consider the ideal gift that Members of the church world wide could give him?”The prophet replied “Find someone who is having a hard time or is ill or lonely, and do something for him or her.”This year for president Monsons Birthday he received hundreds of cards and letters from church members around the world, telling him how they had fulfilled his Birthday wish.
President Monson has always been one to serve. He grew up during the great depression. His home was near the train tracks and people would knock on his door and ask for food. President Monsons Mother would always give them something to eat. She would also have her son take plates of hot food to the poor neighbors. President Monson has always served others from the time he was little boy.
I want be sure that I teach my boys to serve others, so they will know what a great feeling you get inside when you give of yourself. It will be12 years ago this fall I helped my Mom open a scrapbook shop up in east Millcreek. The second Christmas we were in business we decided we would do a service project through our store each Christmas. We have done food drives, collected donations for the homeless shelter, the Christmas box house and primary children’s hospital. Three years ago we decided to collect gifts for the rehabilitation center across the street from our store, which we later found out, it happens to be the same nursing home that President Monson often visits. Each year in November the coordinator of the nursing home goes around to each and every person in the home and asks them “If they could have one thing for Christmas what would it be?”
Then she writes out a list of what these 92 people want for Christmas. There is anything on the list from crossword puzzle, socks, blankets, books, perfume and even Jazz tickets. As a family and with the help of the community every year we are able to fulfill each and every wish. Sometimes at the last minute but it always seems to work out.
Two years ago when a man had asked for Jazz tickets they were the last thing on the list, and nobody had purchased them. We weren’t sure how we would be able to get enough money to buy the tickets so we ended up buying him a Jazz poster and Jazz sweatshirt. Then two days before the gifts were to be delivered to the nursing home we had a money donation. With the money we had received we were able to afford seats in the lower bowl.
The Jazz tickets ended up going to a man who was 23 years old He was in the nursing home because he didn’t have any family and was suffering from cancer. When he saw those tickets he jumped for joy and couldn’t believe he had two tickets to the Jazz and Lakers game. Then when he noticed how good his seats were he screamed with excitement… “This is my best Christmas ever!!!”, he said.
Our family all gets together to deliver the gifts. We wear Santa hats and all sing Christmas songs we pass out the gifts and shortly visit each room. Sometimes giving hugs, singing a song, giving a smile or simplify listening. It is so touching and always brings a tear to my eye to see the joy it brings to the people when they open there presents.
Another difficult gift to find was a pair of mens size 16 leather slippers. I was with my children when I had the opportunity to deliver this gift to him. We watched as he sat in a wheelchair opening up his beautiful package. Once he opened the box his eyes filled with tears “How did you know, How did you know he asked?” He then bent down and removed the old brown leather slippers from his feet that were worn with holes through the soles. He then tried on the new slippers and said “They fit perfect, how did you know? ” I wiped the tear from my eyes and then looked down at my children who also had tears in their eyes. That day not only did I teach my children about giving I also was touched by the spirit of service.
In D&C Chapter 4 verse 2 it says “Therefore, o ye that embark in the service of God see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.”
One of my favorite talks by President Monson is Finding Joy in the Journey in the November 2008 ensign. In this talk the prophet talks about how time marches on and day by day there are changes in our lives. That we need to embrace these changes and find joy in the journey now. This is our one and only chance at mortal life here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come and then they are gone. The greatest lessons we are to learn is to distinguish what is important and what is not. Do not let those important things pass you by as you plan for the future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. In this talk president Monson says “There is no tomorrow to remember if we don’t do something today.”
This talk really hits home to me. Sometimes I get so frustrated that the kids chores aren’t done, that the house is a mess, the laundry is piled up, the garden needs weeding and the list goes on and on. Although reading this talk makes me realize I need to enjoy my journey now…. Do I really want my kids looking back when they're older and saying “wow we had such a clean house” or would I rather have them look back and say what a fun day a the zoo!!!
In President Monson's talk he says “If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that tiny finger prints show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys will be scattered about the house, and the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will- to your surprise- miss them!”
This makes me think of a country song I love It goes “Your going to miss this, your gonna want this back, your gonna wish these days hadn’t gone by so fast. These are some good times so take a good look around you may not know it now, but your gonna miss this.”
Although I’m pretty sure I will not miss all the laundry!!!
To me following the Prophet is service… I quote president Monson “Send that note to the friend you’ve been neglecting; give your child a hug; give you parents a hug; say I love you more; always express thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up, loved ones pass on. It’s so easy to take others for granted, until that day when they are gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of “what if” and “if only.”
Like President Monson said “We need to find Joy in the Journey Now!”
President Monson wants us to be sure to express our Gratitude not only to each other but to Heavenly Father. In the New Testament it says “In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God.”
I am so thankful for our Prophet President Monson that he is here to give us counsel. He has inspired answers. If we listen and follow the teachings of the prophet we will have peace in our homes and hearts. I am so thankful for Presidents Monsons example of service. May we all follow the prophet and give him his Birthday wish for years to come… service.

2 comments:
What a really good talk. It is nice that you are blogging it cause then it won't get lost. Thanks for changing my blog. You are so funny, I love the cereal picture. ha ha ha
What a nice talk. I'm happy you put it on your blog so I could just borrow it next time I have to talk in church! (I'm kidding, by the way)
Post a Comment