Monday, May 19, 2008

"Broken Arm"

Yesterday, Ben went out to start up the barbecue at about 7:30. Zachary followed him out and started skateboarding. He was getting ready to go down the ramp and his back wheels got caught. He put is right arm down to catch his fall and ended up breaking both the bones in his arm. The bigger bone on the left was actually broken in half and the other bone was fractured. Jenny came and watched the kids while both Ben and I ran Zach to the emergency room.
We took him to the new Cottonwood Hospital. It was really nice and everyone there was so friendly and helpful. After looking at Zach's arm they knew for sure it was broken and were able to get us right in. Zach was really brave. They put him to sleep while they set his arm (I couldn't watch and had to step out of the room) When I came back they were wrapping his arm up. It took Zach about 20 minuets to wake up after they were done. We finished up at the Hospital at about 11:30 last night by the time we got the prescription filled at Walgreen's we got home around midnight.

Zachary is pretty sad his arm is broken and has been taking it really easy today. The only thing he's happy about is that it's his right arm that's broken and he thinks he'll be able to get out of school work for awhile. When we were at the emergency room the specialist said "to come in on Wednesday to get it checked out" he also said "he would be able to put a water proof cast on right before we go to San Diego." So we are really happy about that.
Zach is on Hydrocodone for pain and has been really sleepy today. He is so cute and has handled all of this really good. (much better than me) It is so hard for a Mom to see her kids hurt and not feeling well. I am so thankful for all the technology that we have now days and that we are able to have Doctors near by that are all so nice and wonderful.

I feel like lately all I have been posting about are injuries. My sister said I should start a new blog just about that, hopefully I will not be having any more post like this one!!!

7 comments:

Carson said...

Get well soon Zach we are all thinking about you and love you so much! You are so brave! Parker can't wait to sign your cast. That was Parkers favorite part, well besides picking the color!

Melissa said...

Poor Zach! I hope you don't have anymore visits to the ER anytime soon!

Rebecca said...

Oh my gosh! Karen, do you have good health insurance? I hope so. I am so sad for Zach! But I am glad he can get a waterproof cast, and get out of school work. You are very brave Zach! We will be thinking about you and saying a prayer that your arm will get better real quick!

Willardson Family said...

That is so hard! I remember when Weston broke his arm I think I was more upset then he was! We'll have to send over some good movies or something.

Jennybug said...

Really you should start an injury blog, the name could be Broken Bones, Bruises, and Butterfly Bandages! Just with all the bruises alone you will be posting every day. Sure love you!

Brittany said...

Thank you Peterson family for keeping Emergency rooms in business. I hope Zach keeps feeling better!

Anonymous said...

WoW!! Just looking at that X-Ray hurts my arm! What a brave little boy you have! Between you and I, I think we have kept the doctors so busy! I hope Zach gets feeling better soon and it is so great that he can have a waterproof cast so San Diego!