Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Day of Volunteering


To start the day out I took all the Scouts to the Scout-O-Rama. It was a blast and the boys loved it! We should of stayed longer! Then I took them all to Wendy's for lunch. ( I Love this picture of me and Zach, why do eight year old boys think bunny ears are so funny?)

I got home and was about out the door again, to get milk at Costco, when Kendra called me. She is so cute!!! Her Dad is out of town, so she wanted me to take her shopping to get a Birthday present for her Mom. I told her I could pick her up in five min.

When I got to Jenny's house the girls were all ready to go. Megan and Nicole both had cute little purses with their money (and whatever else little girls carry around?) We went shopping and they all picked out the perfect gifts for their Mom. We had a really fun time together! It was so fun shopping with girls!!! I took Megan and Nicole shopping at Kohl's... Can I just say one more time "Girls are really fun to shop with!"

I got home at about 5:00, and it was then time to go to "The Christmas Box House" We went with three other couples from our ward. We met with eight teenage boys (the youngest was 11 the oldest was 17) The activity that was planned was baking cupcakes and playing bingo. (I must say I was a little nervous at first) I really couldn't see all these teenage boys baking cupcakes! The little 11 year old and the 14 year helped out, while the others played Bingo. They had so much fun and were all such nice cute boys! After Bingo they played some other games. We there about an hour then it was time to go to the girls...

I asked all the husbands if they just wanted to stay and play games with the boys while we went over to the girls? They decided they would all stay (which a really good thing) There were seven girls and they were pretty "rough" and lets just say some had "potty mouths" (It would of been a little uncomfortable in a mixed group) It was nice to spend time with them. I only wish I could of spent more time with them, I'm not quite sure that is was enough to make a difference. I feel so bad for these lost children. I want to try and help them out more.

I am so thankful for my parents and the way I was raised. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family. I am so thankful for the Gospel in my life and for my testimony. I know that our testimony is what gets us through our hard times and struggles. I am so thankful to have a wonderful husband and children. Family is the most important thing. They are the ones who we can depend on, cry too, laugh with and love! I am so thankful for my family!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

That's neat you guys went to the Christmas Box house! I have been there, it's sad, isn't it? But it's good that you are making a difference in their life.

Jennybug said...

Karen thanks so much for taking my girls to get gifts for me. That meant a lot to them and to me. You are a really fun aunt. They love you tons. It is so nice to know that your kids have someone else that they con count on! Even if this means Kendra calling for rides here and there. I love you. Thanks for the cute shirts.

kendra =P said...

awww karen thanks i had so much fun with you i TOTALLY think that we should do that again. i miss those days when i would spend every minute with you.

Heather M said...

That really was a great time. You were so cute with the kids. We really should try to go again. Thanks for your love and willingness to serve.

Anonymous said...

Girls really are a lot of fun to shop with! I am spoiled having all sisters who love to shop as much as I do! That is neat that you were able to serve at the Christmas Box house. Hearing stories like that make me so grateful for the life I have.